What is clutter?
Clutter is anything you’re keeping that doesn’t add value to your life. Decluttering is all about making room in your home for the things that truly matter.
Benefits of Decluttering –
Clutter can be one of the biggest causes of stress in our lives. When we clutter our lives physically and mentally, it drains our energy. If we truly want to have an organised, free life, we need to de-clutter first. Clutter is very stubborn. It sneaks up on us and into our lives very easily and can be difficult to recognize and deal with.
It’s important to remember you have options when it comes to clutter, so you don’t need to feel guilty about getting rid of everything. Mentally prepare for purging the house of junk, and keep our top 5 decluttering tips in mind:
1. Follow the 80/20 Rule – 80% of the time, we generally only wear 20% of the clothing we own. This rule tends to be true for other things as well, such as video games, computers, electronics and books, DVDs, toys and more. Your mission is to get rid of the things you don’t use 80% of the time.
2. Forget About Sunk Costs – In economics, costs that have already been incurred and cannot be recovered are referred to as sunk costs. Unless an item has increased in value, which is rare, consider most items as a sunk cost. Since you cannot get the money back that you spent on each item, you should only think about the value that thing can add to your life in the future.
3. Check if the Item Works – If a certain treasure you found stashed away doesn’t function properly, get rid of it. If you want to fix it (and are confident in your skills to do so), then fix it right away. Otherwise, it will continue to sit unused, collecting dust.
4. Start With Small Projects – Feeling overwhelmed about how to start decluttering? Before you commit to decluttering an entire house, start with a few small projects that will give you a sense of accomplishment when you’re done.
5. Clear Off Flat Surfaces – Countertops, shelves and other flat surfaces are clutter magnets. If you need to keep a few things out on your counters, that’s okay, but you should make it a goal to free all surfaces of most clutter.
More Reasons to declutter your life:
- More time for yourself
- More money by selling unused items.
- More pleasant visual view with more space.
- More discipline in our daily life to do other things.
- More time, less cleaning, less stuff to deal with.
- More space.
- More mental room for progress without drain on energy from clutter.
- More control over your life.
- More responsible kids with money, keeping things tidy and understanding minimalism and waste.
- More energy flowing through the house and your life.
- More sense of accomplishment.
- More helping others by donating clothes and “stuff”to others who need it.
- More socialization as now room to entertain and house proud.
- More productive.
- More Romance with a decluttered dining or bedroom!
- Finding long lost memories. More valuable stuff in your life.
- More freedom to move easily and travel easily.
- More organized
- Safer home.
- More appreciation for belongings that you now have.
- A clearer and calmer mind with less stress.
Here’s to a fresh start to Summer!!